Affimed´s unique and proprietary TandAb® antibody platform is generating superior antibody therapeutics.
TandAbs® are tetravalent bispecific antibody formats that have two binding sites for each antigen. They bind to target molecules on the surface of tumor cells and T-cells or NK-cells leading to the lysis of the target cells.
TandAbs® possess the same avidity and affinity for each target as an IgG. When compared to IgGs and alternative antibody formats/scaffolds, TandAbs® possess a much higher efficacy.
In addition, TandAbs® appear to be safe in animals and humans.
A robust production and downstream processing for TandAbs® has been established in mammalian cells. The TandAb® molecules show high expression levels and product stability.
- Specific engagement of NK-cells and T-cells
- Excellent safety profile: lack of Fc-mediated side effects
- Same avidity as IgG: bivalent binding for each target
- Favorable half-life: better than other antibody scaffolds
- “Drug-like” properties: high expression yields, robust down stream processes and excellent product stability
- Thermally stable: extrapolated shelf-life > 2 years
- No glycosylation: less problems regarding immunogenicity or product homogeneity
- Manifold applications: broad range of potential indications, such as oncology, inflammation, autoimmune diseases, ...
- Strong IP situation: patents granted for major world markets including EU, USA and Japan.
The TandAb® molecules generated with Affimed´s proprietary technology platform have improved features compared to traditional IgGs and other antibody fragments. TandAbs® bind with high affinity and bivalently to the targets, resulting in the same avidity as IgGs.
TandAbs® are constructed solely of variable domains, therefore avoiding Fc-mediated side effects. They are fully functional without being glycosylated.
TandAbs® are well expressed in mammalian cells (g/L) and purified by standard chromatography. Furthermore, the stability of TandAbs® to freezing and thawing enabled the development of frozen and lyophilised formulations.
The TandAb® homodimers have a molecular weight of about 100 to 110 kDa, which is far above the renal threshold for the first-pass clearance. Therefore, the half-life is significantly better than that of other comparable formats allowing a convenient dosing schedule.
Finally, because of their tetravalency, these molecules cover a very wide range of application possibilities, opening access to therapeutically important but difficult indications in the fields of oncology and inflammation. TandAbs® can act as a recruiting machinery (RECRUIT-TandAb®) for immune effector cells or as safer alternative to IgGs (PROLONG-TandAbs® and BiBLOCK-TandAbs®) for the treatment of autoimmune diseases.